Skip to main content

In Memoriam / Silent Servant

 Juan Mendez aka Silent Servant passed away.

I know Silent Servant thanks to Rødhåd. Years ago, I came across a series called "What's In My Bag?" by Amoeba Record Store in Hollywood. There was an episode Rødhåd. I love Rødhåd so I watched the episode. During the interview, Rødhåd mentioned that he bumped into Silent Servant downstairs & that he was into movie soundtracks.

   

I was familiar with the name but I wasn't familiar with his work. I didn't know what a legend he was. 

A few days after his passing, I came across his 'In Memoriam' EP released on Tresor Records. I was so impressed that I asked myself: "Why didn't I listen to his music before?" 

M-87 reminded me of Depeche Mode. Poppy synths, deep, dark & powerful vocal which is very close to Dave Gahan's vocal & industrial sounds. It feels like a mixture of 'Strangelove', 'People Are People', 'Personal Jesus', 'Everything Counts' & 'Enjoy the Silence'. 

M-90 & M-99 have that Berghain sound we all know & love. M-90 reminds me of the legendary Ben Klock - Subzero. Even the vinyl has that Ostgut Ton look. 🤍🖤

M-99 has a powerful message for all of us: "Don't forget who you are!".

Sometimes, life's problems make us forget who we are. Tracks like this have the power to take us back to ourselves.

Just look into your heart my friend. That will be the return to yourself. The return to innocence. 

 - Enigma 

The detail that blows my mind the most is Silent Servant releasing the album & naming it 'In Memoriam' approximately 2 months before passing away. 

I remember when Hapësira booked Silent Servant to play at Rilindja Warehouse XVIII in 2020. The event was cancelled due to COVID-19. It would've been Silent Servant's first gig here in Kosovo.

It's sad that we couldn't have him play here while he was here!! :( Times like these remind us that we shouldn't take no one & nothing for granted. 

If you want to hang out, go to festivals & record stores with your friends & surprise them with vinyls, do it! If you want to listen to your favorite singers & DJs live, do it! We never know when it's going to be the last time. 

It would've been so special if i discovered Silent Servant at Rilindja Warehouse, my favorite venue where i spent some of the best nights of my life & discovered most of the artists i love, like: Diah, Ana Malo, Dasha Rush, SHDW & Obscure Shape, Rødhåd, Alex.Do ❤️😊 I discovered Rødhåd thanks to Hapësira. Years after, i discovered Silent Servant thanks to Rødhåd. Everything is connected. ❤️😊


by Andy Meka [KS Clubbing]












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q&A with teknonket

We had the amazing chance to do an exclusive interview with teknonket , the creative genius behind some of the super funniest and smartest memes in Kosovo’s clubbing scene. Teknonket has become a big name for ravers , combining humor with important messages about staying safe and enjoying nightlife . In this special interview, we asked them about journey, favorite moments, and dreams for the future of electronic music in Kosovo.  Let’s peek into the world of teknonket and learn more about the person behind the iconic memes!💿🎶✨ 1. Hi Teknonket! You’re like the superhero of Kosovo’s clubbing scene. What inspired you to start this amazing account for ravers? teknonket: Hello Ksclubbing, thanks for having me. Well, in my teens, I was really into memes, starting with websites like DamnLOL, 9gag, and 4chan. Not only did I enjoy the memes, but I also made a lot of them and shared them with my friends on chats or my Facebook account. Later, when I started raving , I found a page ...

Q&A with NIJØ

Welcome to our Q&A series, where we talk to talented DJs from our Kosovo Clubbing podcast! 🚀 This time, we had a chat with NIJØ, a young and passionate DJ from Tirana, who started his journey into electronic music at just 11 years old! 🤯🎶 From scratching on his phone as a kid to playing Melodic Techno & Indie Dance, NIJØ shares his love for groovy beats, acid basslines, and the growing scene in Tirana. 🕺🔥  What inspires him?  What gear does he love?  What are his future plans? 🤔  Find out in this exclusive Q&A with NIJØ! ⬇️  While you are reading, play the set he did for our podcast HERE :  How did you first get into electronic music? Was there a song or artist that inspired you the most? NIJØ: I started listening to electronic music at a young age because of my dad, who had old tapes of many legends like Carl Cox, Hernan Cataneo, Adam Beyer, and more. A very big inspiration for me was the track La La Land by Green Velvet. You started DJin...

Goran Tomasević: The region should cooperate more and exchange musicians

For eight years, the Croatian electronic music scene has proudly organized the Ambassador Award, which recognizes and celebrates the most prominent players in this dynamic industry. This project, initiated by Goran Tomašević , founder of the Klubska Scena portal, has grown beyond the borders of Croatia and has become a regional symbol of unity and creativity in electronic music. In the following interview, Tomašević discusses the reasons for the change in categories, the industry's challenges, and the Ambassador's importance in connecting artists and professionals across the Balkans . Why do the categories change from year to year? Goran Tomašević:  “ Electronic music as a part of the cultural and creative industries is one of the most dynamic scenes in the world, and it is in this context that certain changes occur from year to year. Namely, in Croatia and the region , many artists of various professions are part of this culture, such as DJs, producers, bands, live perfor...